Sunday, March 23, 2008

The Dutch Have Invaded


This weekend (like all holiday weekends) My home has been invaded by the Dutch. Allow me to explain.
My Mother is Dutch, and her parents, my Opa and Oma, always come to our house for the holidays. I just love it. First off, as they get older, they get funnier. They seem to lose touch with what is appropriate to say ( or maybe they don't lose touch, they just don't care). Much fun is had.
Here is a break down of my weekend.

1. My Opa does a 12 point inspection of his motor home ( they live in the city so we store it for them during the winter months)
2. Opa and Oma ask if I am done school YET
3. We eat...a lot
4. My friends stop by to hear the Dutchies tell crazy stories of their youth in Holland.
5. We play Dutch Dominoes. (This is in fact normal Dominoes but my Opa has taken claim over it and dubbed it 'Dutch Dominoes'.
6. We go for long walks and my Opa tells me about the people he hide in his basement during the war (My Oma whispers in my ear that this is in fact "groot lig" (a rather huge lie).
7. We eat a great dinner and afterwards my Opa tells me about all the horrible things he did to his sisters (like put dead mice in their beds) and tells me how fortunate I am that Colin does not engage in these same practices.
8. After these stories my Opa, my Dad, my brother and myself get into arguments over poilitics. My Oma swears at my Opa in Dutch for being such a "luide mond" (loud mouth I think?)
9. Finally, before bed my Opa, Oma, Mum and Dad play two games of Scrabble where my Opa shamelessly makes up word after word. He tells me he does this to keep the others "on their toes".
Before I know it the weekend is over and the Dutch are gone from Waterford, back to London....until May 24 weekend that is.

No comments: