Monday, March 24, 2008

Life Before the Internet???

This past weekend, my house in St. Catharines was without Internet. I was not affected by this travesty as I was gone home for the holiday. However, it dd get me to thinking about my reliance on the Internet. I try to imagine how different University would have been if I didn't have the Internet. I think about all those 12 page research papers I wrote, and I wonder what I would have done without online databases. Using a catalogue, finding a book, and physically searching the shelves seems.....prehistoric. It got me to thinking about technologies progressions. We rely on the Internet to study and research, even our classes have online components such as this blog. And where would we all be without good old Blackboard. It is no wonder that social media has been born.
Yesterday I sat at my computer and typed out the steps my mother should follow if she wants to upload her photos from her digital camera onto her computer and I had a scary thought. Given the rapid rate at which technology is advancing, I wonder if 20 years from now will my children have to write out lists giving step by step instructions so I can check my email? Even though I am growing up in the technological era, it is not unimaginable that the technology will one day pass me by and I will feel as helpless in front of a computer as my Mum does? Yikes!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't wait until I get to drive my flying car to work and have to get used to my robot maid. lol. I honestly think about this a lot and wonder where technology will be in 10 and 20 and even 40 years from now!! sometimes i don't know if it excites me or scares me to tears.

Anonymous said...

ps that was me Claudia

Unknown said...

I had no Internet for a couple months when I moved to Ontario and it was the best thing I ever had. I went for walks all the time, I read lots of books and had way better communication with friends and families. I still miss it like crazy when the power goes out though.

Anonymous said...

Herzlich Willkommen hier im Sextalk.


Unser Sextalk gibt dir eine Alternative private frauen nackt und jedemenge andere Sachen,unter anderem Flirt und Sextalk
Hier im besten Sextalk erwarten dich private frauen nackt Sexgeschichten
Suchst du eventuel Sexgeschichten , sicher bist du hier genau richtig.Gut,auf was wartest du?
sexuelle Vorlieben kontaktanzeigen schwul ,sofort anmelden .
Du suchst jemand von Neuenburg, oder in LudwigshafenamRhein, vieleicht von Germany , oder in Aargau, oder Ecublens? Bestimmt ist da jemand dabei.!

Anonymous said...

First off I would like to say wonderful blog!
I had a quick question in which I'd like to ask if you do not mind. I was curious to find out how you center yourself and clear your thoughts prior to writing. I have had trouble clearing my thoughts in getting my ideas out. I truly do enjoy writing but it just seems like the first 10 to 15 minutes tend to be wasted simply just trying to figure out how to begin. Any recommendations or hints? Many thanks!
Here is my web blog - the truth teller show

Anonymous said...

It's really a nice and helpful piece of info. I'm glad that you
shared this helpful information with us. Please keep us up to date like this.

Thank you for sharing.

Have a look at my blog post :: noticias primero